Skolnik Industries is a successful mid-size custom manufacturer of standard and custom drums and barrels. Products include salvage, stainless steel, carbon steel, seamless/crevice-free, lever lock closure, mil-spec, 7A Type A, overpack, nitric, and UN certified drums, cider, and wine barrels, maple syrup drums, and food containers. Replacement parts and accessories such as gaskets, closure rings, nuts, bolts, plugs, and drum plug torque wrenches are also available. Industries served to include chemical, military, hazardous material response, nuclear, food and beverage, pharmaceutical, shipping, and transportation. Skolnik is a non-union and comprised of 100-120 employees. The culture is one that places a high value on diversity, equity, inclusion, and collaboration. Leadership seeks the input, insights, and opinions of everyone – especially those who are closest to the work in attacking and overcoming any challenge that may arise.
The Role: Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Purchasing Manager will be a hands-on manager who is able to develop purchasing strategies, maintain positive relationships with suppliers, coordinate with internal teams regarding their supply needs, and oversee and assist in the purchasing team’s daily activities.
· Selects vendors of materials, equipment, or supplies, and assesses capabilities to determine product availability and terms of sales.
· Resolve vendor or contractor grievances and claims against suppliers.
· Prepare and process requisitions and purchase orders for supplies and equipment while making certain that documents are properly completed, and terms and conditions of purchases are appropriate.
· Confers and negotiates contract terms with vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule.
· Interfaces with all departments and resolves issues and problems related to purchasing.
· Manages, analyzes and creates orders from company ERP programs.
· Prepares and submits purchase orders to vendors.
· Maintains active-backup suppliers
· Supervisors purchasing department staff
· Establishes procurement practices and procedures for department personnel.
· Continually seeks out opportunities to contribute to the business success through proactive involvement in department initiatives.
· Other duties as assigned
The Environment/Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
· Working conditions as found in a typical office environment
· Individuals will regularly need to sit at a computer monitor for a significant portion of the day.
· Also required regularly will be the use of a computer keyboard, speaking, hearing, seeing (with correction), including close vision, focusing ability, and color discrimination.
· Individual will occasionally be required to stand, walk, lift, or exert force up to 25 pounds, reach, stretch, twist, crouch, stoop, squat, and distance vision.
· The performance of this position will regularly require entry to the manufacturing areas and therefore regular exposure to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non-weather), loud noise level, gases, fumes or airborne particles, and work near moving mechanical parts. Employees are required to wear company-provided personal protective equipment such as safety goggles and hearing protection.
· This will be a fully onsite position.
· Other important information:
o To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill,
and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
o This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to this position. The company may assign reasonably related additional duties to individual employees, consistent with company policy.
o Skolnik Industries, Inc. is an EEO and Affirmative Action employer – EEO Minorities/Women/Disability/Veteran
Who are you?
The ideal candidate is smart, organized, and articulate. You are independent yet a collaborative team player. You have embodied a spirit of support and professionalism and know-how to interact with the CEO, the leadership team, operations team members, vendors, and customers. You bring energy and know-how to move obstacles in an appropriate manner. You have a passion for excellence and shared success. You embrace change rather than fear it!
· Experience buying metals is preferred.
· Thorough working knowledge of procurement policies, processes, and procedures.
· Complete knowledge of warehouse and inventory control policies and procedures.
· Extensive knowledge and ability to negotiate best product and service quality, vendor terms, pricing, and delivery based on a specific budget and schedule requirements.
· Demonstrated ability to lead in recommending and establishing departmental goals and objectives.
· Monitor all stock levels, adjust the minimum and maximum goods quantities, and establish re-order points to support production demands.
· Committed to assisting others in learning new skills and processes.
· Comfortable analyzing data to improve the procurement process.
· Develops innovative ideas and incorporates them effectively into work processes.
· Strong interpersonal and persuasive skills required.
· Ability to read/write/speak English proficiently
· Bachelor’s Degree required preferably with an emphasis on business subjects
· Three to five years’ experience in a purchasing related role
· Three to five years’ experience in a manager role preferred
· Strong negotiator
· Self sufficient
· Adaptable. Not afraid to roll-up sleeves and pitch in at any time.
· Leads by example
· Respects diversity of people, thought, and perspectives
· Embraces diversity and inclusion
· Fiscally savvy and responsible
· Understands how to lead and operate in a dynamic environment
· Superior critical thinking skills
· Excellent listener
Why do you want this?
You have a passion for manufacturing and hopefully the “better for you” category: You will love working in a high-growth company within an exciting segment of the business that loves to wow their customers and business partners.
You see and solve problems before they happen! Skolnik wants someone who is proactive and loves to negotiate smart deals that also ensure they have the materials on hand to meet growing customer and production demands.
Skolnik is a winner:
? Growth – Skolnik has grown tremendously over the last several years. Through this growth, it has maintained a family-style culture.
? With a stable and growing client list, Skolnik has established itself as a player in the industry.
? Heart & Culture – Skolnik puts people above all else whether it is dealing with teammates to customers and truly values diversity and what everyone brings to the table.
Base Salary: $117k base salary
Bonus eligible at 15% target
Competitive benefits package
Where is this place?
Chicago is famous for its over 200 neighborhoods, and Skolnik Industries is located right across from Archer Park in the Archer Heights neighborhood area. It is just a stone’s throw away from bustling Midway Airport and is easily accessible via various highways and mass transportation options. Archer Heights is primarily a mixed-use area of light industry and residential properties with a variety of schools, restaurants, and commercial areas. Many of Skolnik’s employees live within the Chicago city limits, as well as a variety of close-in suburban areas like Oak Park, River Forest, Burr Ridge, and Evergreen Park to name a few. Although Chicago is known as ‘The Second City', there’s nothing second when it comes to lifestyle, education, commerce, arts, sciences, and midwestern beauty like Lake Michigan. We are 90 miles from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 3 hours from Indianapolis. O’Hare International Airport is less than an hour from the plant.
Archer Heights Chicago Neighborhood
How do I apply?
It’s easy… You just send your resume to:
Andy Roads | Head of Search Ops
Integrated People Solutions
Phone: (414) 708-1268 firstname.lastname@example.org
IPS is the USA Partner of Kennedy Executive Search & Consulting, a Partner network of executive search boutique firms in Europe and The Americas.
Amsterdam / Barcelona / Brussels / Budapest / Copenhagen / Denver / Frankfurt/ Madrid / Mexico City / Miami / Milan / Monaco / Munich / Paris / Prague / Salzburg / Sao Paulo / Tokyo / Zurich